In this article, you will know:
- Definition of a logo
- Types of logos and logo design inspiration ideas
- Steps to design a logo
What is a logo?
A logo is a symbol or other small designs that identifies a business. A great logo which is iconic, creative and memorable, will create a huge impact on users’ first-hand impressions of your brand and business, hence, make you stand out from competition.
The 7 types of logos
There are 7 different types of logos; however, each of them will give your brand a different feel.
- Monogram logos (or lettermarks)
- Wordmarks (or logotypes)
- Pictorial marks (or logo symbols)
- Abstract logo marks
- The combination mark
- The emblem logo
Monogram logos or lettermarks are often used when your brand names are long. Condensing these names into initial letters will not only help to simplify the design but also raise users’ awareness of your brand since it’s easier and quicker to remember.
Wordmarks are suitable when your brands are new and you would like to get your name stand out from other competitors. Make sure to have your names short enough to take advantage of the design.
Pictorial marks is a graphic-based logo. There are a lot of successful pictorial marks out there like those from Apple, Twitter, Target, etc.
Abstract logo marks, same as pictorial marks, is a graphic-based logo. Instead of using a clear image, an abstract logo mark is created with unique abstract geometric form that symbolizes your business.
Mascot logos use illustrated characters that represents your business. With fun, friendly and unique feelings it conveys, a mascot is usually used when you want to create a brand appealing to children and families.
Combination marks are logos with a combination of texts and images.
Emblem logos look like badges or seals which contain texts inside a symbol or an icon. Normally, it will give a classical and traditional feelings to the brand.
Steps to design a logo
Naturally, you want your logo unique, outstanding, memorable and well describe your business. The process of creating a logo might be frustrated somehow but take it easy. Here are the important steps to start a logo design:
- Understand the purposes to create a logo – Why do you need a logo?
- Understand your brand’s core identity – What are your business visions and missions? What makes your brand different? How do you want users or customers describe you?
- Find inspiration for your design – Brainstorming and creating mood boards help a lot in this stage
- Check out the competition – What have other successful brands already done? You’ll always be able to borrow ideas from others.
- Decide on your design style – Would it be vintage, classic, minimalist, or fun and quirky?
- Choose the right type of logo – Which type suits your brand the most?
- Choose the right colors and typography – Different colors and typos will trigger different looks and feels. Be careful. Think multiple times.
- Communicate with people involved (including designers and customers) to truly understand the requirements and have the best version from different perspectives.
- Evaluate your option – A logo can be used in different way, from packaging to digital display. Make sure your logo can work well in different potential environments.
editorAC – ACworks